TITLE: Volunteer Coordinator – Part-time DATE PREPARED: 09/2015
REPORTS TO: Theatre Director STATUS: Part-time, Non-exempt, Hourly
POSITION SUMMARY: Recruit and maintain adequate number of event volunteers (ticket scanners, ushers and customer relations) and administrative volunteers (office assistants, tour guides and theatre history researchers) to provide appropriate event coverage and administrative support where needed. Supervise and assure all volunteers are properly trained to be able to provide exceptional customer service and support
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Recruit, orient and train event and administrative volunteers. Manage the purchasing of shirts, name tags, penlights, etc. so that volunteers may have a uniform appearance. Manage the background check process for all volunteers.
- Match interested volunteers with opportunities that suit their skill set and best serves the Theatre. Ensure that each volunteer feels comfortable with their volunteer opportunities and fully understands all responsibilities.
- Supervise and engage with volunteers and manage volunteer expectations so volunteers are able to provide a high level of customer service to patrons and office staff.
- Manage volunteer database and scheduling software. Enter and monitor events and required volunteer levels.
- Review and update online volunteer application materials, volunteer descriptions and guidelines to ensure ease of use for prospective volunteers.
- Manage the delivery to information to volunteers who don’t have electronic access (computer/email) and mail scheduling event calendar, individual’s confirmed schedule, newsletters and other communications in a timely manner so materials are received when access is given to those who have electronic access.
- Early in year one, develop an Event Advisory Committee and a Tour Guide Committee, both comprised of volunteers and directed by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- The Tour Guide Committee will promptly develop a tour for visitors.
- In year two, develop a high school, event volunteer program.
- Recognize the necessity to assure volunteers feel appreciated and informed. As budget permits, hold events to thank volunteers, purchase items or send individual correspondence.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Responsible for onsite, offsite or other special event management for all patron areas with attention to excellence in customer service (internal and external), front of house and volunteer relations, community building and staff, volunteer and patron safety/security.
- Prepares details for the pre-event volunteer briefing (run times, holds, attendance, Playbills, inserts). Conducts the pre-event volunteer briefing or schedules appropriate individual to conduct the briefing in Volunteer Coordinator’s absence.
- Oversees event protocols to include ticket scanning, house opening, curtain rising/holding, emergencies and evacuations.
- Reports building concerns (HVAC, lighting, cleanliness, fixtures, bathroom/room conditions, etc.), via internal radio or via work order (based on need to address).
- Completes incident forms and investigations as necessary.
- Reports/addresses suspicious or dangerous activity, using security staff as necessary.
- Ensures volunteers performed post-event walk through of assigned area, gathered found patron items and provided them to Customer Relations to log and assigned event space is closed.
- Perform other duties as required.
- High school graduate or equivalent, College experience desired.
- Two or more years of volunteer management experience and/or training preferred. Experience in performing arts or entertainment a plus.
- Possess strong customer service, interpersonal and presentation, communication and listening and exceptional writing and organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, deal with emergent issues, and juggle multiple projects. Possess a high level of energy and be self-motivated.
- Be able to maintain the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Strong computer skills and ability to research, collect, and interpret data.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, daytime and holidays as needed.
The physical demands described in this position description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit and may lift objects up to 50 pounds. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
This position description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
Interested individuals should forward a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, October 5, 2015.
Wage commensurate with experience.